Job no: 493503
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: New Orleans, LA
Categories: Academic Affairs
Department: Academic Affairs
Sub department: Advising and Retention
Type of Appointment: Unclassified - Administrative/Staff (Grant Funded)
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Advises students about content and structure of academic programs including admission requirements for degree programs, graduation and/or transfer requirements for a particular field of study
• Counsels and assists all students with matters related to goals, policies, choice of curriculum, course load, study habits, course scheduling, academic action, problem resolution and career development.
• Audits, monitors, tracks, reports progress and evaluates individual student academic progress through continued monitoring and contact
• Interprets testing results relevant to placement decisions, determines student readiness for College programs
• Assists students in the development of an educational plan including choosing a program of study and/or clarifying educational goals
• Informs students about alternatives, limitations and possible consequences of academic decisions (e.g. adding, dropping and withdrawing from courses, change of program, major and/or transfer institutions)
• Educates students about course planning and registration processes, refers to available campus resources to meet individual needs including career and personal counselling
• Utilizes early alert system and follows through with interventions to aid in student success
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge about the College’s programs and requirements
Develops and promotes internal communication and resource sharing in order to benefit student success. Maintains daily record of student advising interactions.
• Monitors course enrollment and makes recommendations to appropriate staff regarding course demand and availability
• Monitors progress of students, schedules meeting or proactive outreach and communications and responds to students’ questions, concerns and needs
• Conducts academic coaching through individual or groups sessions that help students assess their own performance and develop academic success plans. Ultimately, the Academic Advisor will guide students to become self-directed learners and decision makers who take responsibility for their education and life.
• Refers students to appropriate academic personnel and support resources and collaborates with others to monitor and accelerate the academic progress of students
• Creates academic plans for graduation
• Collaborates with other area advisors and Student Services to facilitate and improve services to students, create effective working relationships with academic departments and other support areas
• Utilizes appropriate technology to support effective advising, including but not limited to, video conferencing software.
• Performs all other duties as assigned
• Actively involved in professional development
• Attends all advising trainings
• Serves on various college committees.
• Submits activity reports as needed.
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree from an institution accredited by an authorized accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education; or 8-10 years commensurate experience in a related field.
Required Experience: One year of experience in academic advising with a demonstrated understanding of higher education and its operations.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Preferred Education: Master's Degree
Preferred Experience: Demonstrated experience providing academic advising. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office suite). Experience with diverse student populations. Ability to multi-task and work in teams. Highly Organized.
Passing pre-employment criminal background screen is required as a condition of employment.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend