Department: Institutional Advancement
Sub department: Communications & Marketing
Type of Appointment: Unclassified - Administrative/Staff
Salary: $69,186 - $91,687
Duties and Responsibilities:
COMMUNICATIONS, MARKETING, & BRANDING
• Oversee the development, implementation and management of a comprehensive integrated communications, marketing, and branding plan; the strategic program will encompass brand recognition, recruitment marketing, media relations, public relations, digital, social media, and publications
• Lead SLCC through comprehensive rebranding effort; serve as the central source of expertise and advice on all brand-related activities at SLCC
• Stimulate and coordinate media interest in the College through press releases, press conferences, media request responses, and targeted media contacts
• Coordinate with departments across the college to increase student enrollment across SLCC’s product lines through marketing support and market data
• Direct the design, production and distribution of all SLCC’s communications and marketing publications and printed materials in close collaboration with relevant colleagues. Oversee and ensure editing for the highest level of professionalism in all written communication that represents the campus
• Oversee the creative development process, including graphic and video production – working with outside vendors as needed
• Serve as the college media relations contact generally and in emergency and crisis situations. Be on call 24/7 to communicate necessary information to internal and external stakeholders. Collaborate during crisis/emergency situations with senior leadership and the SLCC crisis team
• Lead and oversee SLCC’s comprehensive digital presence, with special attention to websites, social media and SEO, to enhance recruiting efforts, local and state reputation, development activities and alumni connections
• Ensure stories featuring students, alumni, faculty, staff, and donors/partners are routinely shared internally and externally
• Facilitate and oversee marketing research – working with outside vendors as needed
• Responsible for tracking college advertising costs and exploring market trends and opportunities
• Measure the effectiveness of marketing programs and strategies; present data and key performance measures (e.g. web traffic, digital marketing, media placements, etc.) evaluating effectiveness of current strategy and investments; identify opportunities for optimization and improvement
• Assist Vice Chancellor with the creation of executive communications, including chancellor emails and videos, and scripts and visual presentations for convocation, commencement, board meetings, community groups, etc.
• Guide departmental event planning and execution as needed to support college objectives
• Collaborate with system office marketing and communications department to align college strategies along with system goals and objectives
• Keep abreast with and maintain SLCC’s compliance with all public statutes, laws, and policies related to intellectual property, copyright, and trademarks
• Ensure industry best practices are followed and new developments are explored
MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP
• Hire, train, and supervise communications staff
• Provide documented evidence of individualized professional growth and development for communications staff
• Provide leadership in the design, development, strategy, implementation, and assessment of goals, objectives and activities related to the college’s communications, marketing and branding efforts
• Demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as work continually to enhance the diversity of the college and department
• Develop and manage annual budget for department and ensure control and approval of expenditures and reporting as required
• Serve on college committees, tasks forces, and cross-functional work teams as appropriate, and may represent the college on external teams
• Work closely with other Institutional Advancement staff and volunteer leadership to build and maintain momentum and focus for all fundraising efforts
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement and External Relations, including college and donor relations, SLCC Foundation initiatives, fund development and campaign activities, meetings, and special events successfully to meet revenue generation goals
• Predictable and reliable attendance is required in order to provide consistency and continuity of business and educational services
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Minimum ten (10) years of progressive experience in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, and/or external relations
• Demonstrated experience implementing effective integrated marketing, branding, public relations, digital/online, design and communications principles and strategies
• Proven experience working with social media, Google Analytics, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), web accessibility best practices, web content management, and other marketing management tools
• Demonstrated experience managing budgets, directing department operations, and managing staff
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Valid, unencumbered driver's license
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university
• The ability to lead and motivate, and to manage multiple projects and assignments with excellent organization, delivery, creativity, planning and attention to detail in collaboration with others.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite, especially Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
• Excellent writing and editing skills and ability to communicate complex information clearly, professionally, and succinctly to a variety of audiences.
• Ability to review the work of others to ensure conformance to brand standards.
• Authentic enthusiasm for SLCC’s vision and mission.
• Demonstrated appetite for innovation and eagerness to continue to learn as new media options emerge
• Willingness to grow and mentor a team, be adept at managing multiple projects at one time, and deliver strong outcomes
Passing pre-employment criminal background screen is required as a condition of employment.