Rank: Assistant Professor
Starting Date: Fall 2023
The School of Nursing at California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position, at the Assistant rank 2023-2024 Academic Year, with the appointment beginning in Fall 2023.
The School of Nursing at CSUSM offers Bachelor and Master of Science degrees in nursing. Three pathways lead to the BSN: a traditional 4-year program, an accelerated 2-year program, and a fully online ADN/RN to BSN program for students in community college nursing programs, or practicing RNs who hold an ADN and wish to earn a BSN. The MSN program prepares students for a career as a family nurse practitioner or psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner.
We are seeking outstanding teachers, passionate scholars, and expert clinicians who are committed to educating students from diverse backgrounds. Applicants are desired from candidates who are able to teach across two or more of the following undergraduate specialty areas: pediatrics; obstetrics and gynecology; and medical-surgical nursing. Candidates who are Nurse Practitioners (NPs) will have opportunities to teach in the graduate nurse practitioner programs.
The faculty at CSUSM are members of an academic community engaged in excellent leadership, scholarship, and service. In addition, the School of Nursing is looking for applicants who will contribute to program assessments and curriculum revisions, innovations in pedagogy, inter-professional collaborative education, and community partnerships.
- A PhD in nursing or a related discipline, with a master’s degree in nursing, or a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is required. Candidates who are completing their PhD or DNP, with a doctorate in hand by August 1, 2023, will be considered.
- Possession of or eligibility for licensure by the California Board of Registered Nurses (BRN).
- Qualified or eligible for California BRN approval to teach both didactic and in clinical supervision
- Expertise in one and experience in another of the following specialty areas: pediatrics; obstetrics and gynecology; medical-surgical nursing.
- Willingness to teach in a predominantly face-to-face academic environment
- Demonstrated ability, experience, and commitment to service delivery and support for students with ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds
- Proven interest in actively participating in a full range of service responsibilities
- Ability to develop and sustain a research program that leads to publications in peer-reviewed journals and research grants
- Previous experience in effective teaching at the undergraduate and/or graduate level using a range of modalities (e.g., face-face, hybrid, online synchronous and asynchronous, and simulation).
- Previous experience in curriculum development, program assessment, and evaluation.
- National certification or eligibility to sit for national certification in the chosen specialty.
- Funded research program with peer-reviewed publications.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $7,501 - $7,917 per month
CSU Classification Salary Range: $5,405 - $11,994 per month
Click Apply Now to complete the CSUSM Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter specifically addressing minimum and preferred qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Three professional references.
- If applicant has had teaching experience at the university level, provide at least one reference to attest to the applicant's teaching effectiveness.
- Statement of teaching philosophy and research interests.
Review of applications will begin January 23, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit Faculty Opportunities for more information.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation and veteran or military status.
Per the California State University’s Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is prohibited from hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. Working in the State of California is a condition of employment.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised December 22, 2020 as a condition of employment.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy, can be found at CSU Covid Policy. Questions should be sent to the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com.
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act or Clery Act Notification can be found at Clery Act Notification.