Adjunct Instructor - Surgical Technology
Job no: 492511
Work type: Faculty - Part Time
Location: SOWELA – Morgan Smith/ Jennings
Categories: Allied Health, Academic Affairs, Nursing
Department: Academic Affairs
Sub department: School of Nursing & Allied Health
Type of Appointment: Unclassified - Adjunct
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Understands and adheres to all applicable Louisiana Community and Technical College System (LCTCS) policies.
• Understands and adheres to policies and procedures contained in the SOWELA Technical Community College (STCC) Faculty Handbook.
• Understands and adheres to all laws pertaining to disclosure of student records.
• Understands and adheres to the professional scope, standards, codes, rules and regulations of Professional Governing Bodies:
o Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
o Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STST)
o Association of Surgical Technology (AST)
o National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
• Teaching and Direct Instructional Activities
o Responsible for directing, evaluating and reporting student progress toward course objectives and for the periodic review and updating of course material.
o Course materials are prepared using evidence-based resources (textbooks, instructional aids, online resources, and materials) to meet the outlined course learning objectives
o Teaching plans are organized and available for course presentation
o Course time organized to be accomplished in the allotted time
o Instruction provided to individual students and groups appropriate to the needs and requirements of activities being performed
o Attends class on time and if unable to attend; ensures alternate method of course delivery is available for students
o Able to deliver course content in a clear, concise manner that enhances student learning
o Demonstrates varied methods of course content delivery and use of instructional aids
o Provides adequate resources that enable students to successfully complete assignments
o Content expert in subject matter
o Promotes discussion among students as well as learning and individual initiative
o Provides constructive feedback in a timely manner on tests and assignments
o Provides fair grading of student course work
o Assists with recording/tracking student completion, placement and retention rates
o Oversees students’ clinical practice
Ensures clinical site will allow students to gain clinical experience for course content and enhance clinical judgment
Ensures clinical assignments enable students to meet the required clinical case requirements as documented in the clinical documentation system for graduation and meet eligibility requirements for the national certification exam
Orients self and student to clinical facility policies and procedures
Performs continuous review of the effectiveness of the clinical sites and instruction of the clinical competencies
Evaluates student performance in the clinical setting
• Must be qualified by education and experience, and must be effective in teaching in the subjects assigned.
• Must have a minimum of two (2) years of current experience in the operating room in the scrub role or as an instructor of surgical technology or a combination of both, within the past five years
Required Licenses or Certifications:
• Possess a credential in the field of surgical technology through a national certification program that is accredited by the National Commission of Certifying Agencies (NCCA). The only Surgical technology specific credentials that are accredited by the NCCA are the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST ®) credential and the joint Certified Surgical Technologist/ Certified Surgical First Assistant (CST/CSFA ®) credential.
• Associate Degree or higher in Surgical Technology
Passing pre-employment criminal background screen is required as a condition of employment.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend