Pacific National (PN) is the largest provider of diversified rail freight services in Australia. We haul a variety of freight including coal, intermodal containers, steel, and a range of bulk commodities and materials that keep the region’s economy, businesses and households running. We operate nationally with approximately 3,500 staff in over 100 sites across Australia. Join us as we continue to transform our business and shape the rail freight industry, to achieve our vision of becoming Australia’s recognised leader for safe, innovative and sustainable rail freight solutions.
- Chatswood based permanent opportunity
- Take ownership of database platforms supporting critical business applications
- Build your knowledge of the Exadata platform
The Senior Database Administrator is responsible for the design and management of the organisation’s database architecture to ensure secure access and availability in accordance with the needs of the business. Reporting to the Unix/DBA Team Lead, this role requires the ability to work in a dynamic environment with a focus on supporting business critical applications, whilst undertaking a mix of business as usual and project work.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and monitor the availability, integrity and performance of the database platforms for production, disaster recovery, and non-production environments, including maintaining back ups and implementing security for all Oracle & Microsoft SQL Databases.
- Create policies and documented standards for deployment of technology throughout the database environment.
- Manage and deliver infrastructure support to ensure incidents and service requests are resolved within agreed service level.
- Control migrations of programs, database changes, and data changes through the development life cycle as well as planning, scoping, upgrading and patching database platforms in accordance with DBA policies.
- Provide technical support to application development teams and trouble shoot problems regarding databases, applications and development tools.
- Design, build, document and deploy database platforms to be highly available, including deploying disaster recovery solutions for critical applications and platform services.
- Provide database solutions able to support growing need for real-time data collection and large-scale analytics, including thought leadership and input into evolution of the Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning and optimisation of the database instances and installations.
This role requires the availability to work outside normal working hours for project releases and high priority incident response as required as well as to provide primary support as per the 24x7 rotating support roster.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong track record in the management of large and complex databases, as well the following skills and experience:
- Significant experience supporting Oracle and MS SQL Server
- Experience managing Peoplesoft databases and infrastructure, including large scale PeopleSoft upgrades highly regarded
- Prior exposure to Microsoft systems centre operations manager (SCOM) desirable
- Oracle and Microsoft certification highly regarded, good knowledge of LINUX and Microsoft operating systems.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work in a fast paced environment, within a small team.
Our culture embraces diversity, inclusion and flexible work options. Working for us will enable you to take ownership of your career and gain access to opportunities for growth and development, while enjoying Pacific National’s financial and non-financial benefits such as paid parental leave, opportunity to purchase additional annual leave, discounts on health insurance, travel and more.
We are looking for people who share our values of Safety, Integrity, Accountability and Teamwork, and live these values through open and honest communication and respect.
We embrace diversity in our workforce and encourage everyone to apply.
Applications close on 17th June, 2019.
Are you ready to be part of our future?
To apply, please click on the 'Apply' button below and follow the prompts.
To find out more about Pacific National, our benefits and opportunities we offer, visit our careers page: www.pacificnational.com.au/careers
Home Safely Everyday - Our top priority is getting you home to your family safely every day.