ASC is Australia’s only established sovereign submarine company. Our team of leading, submarine platform engineers, trades and professionals are committed to the delivery of an agile and potent submarine capability for the Royal Australian Navy.
About the Opportunity
The Senior Project Engineer is accountable to the Project Manager for delivering detailed project management and support activities required during all phases of the project lifecycle and the supervision and coordination of assigned Project Engineers / Coordinators / Administrators. This may include managing the planning, execution and closeout of a minor to major capability upgrade projects
This Permanent full time opportunity is based in Osborne, SA.
- Planning, developing and maintaining performance baselines as well as measuring work progress, analysing variances and developing corrective actions.
- Conduct Project Risk and Opportunity reviews, with the development and proactive management of risk mitigation / opportunity realisation strategies.
- Daily liaison with ASC internal functional departments, such as Engineering, Quality, Planning, Estimating, Production, Supply Chain, Human Resources, Commercial, Procurement and Finance.
- Preparation and collation of reports in accordance with project requirements and coordinate weekly, monthly and quarterly project reviews.
- Cost Account Manager (CAM) responsibility for financial management of elements or the whole of respective projects.
- Management and supervision of assigned Project Engineers / Coordinators / Administrators including line management responsibilities.
- As applicable, mentors and supports project team members and other relevant personnel in the projects area to become an advocate for best project management practice and a high performance project culture.
- Coordinates the cross-functional inputs necessary to successfully complete responsible projects or elements of project.
- Develops and maintains effective metrics to communicate the performance of the project or project elements against the baseline.
- Actively encourages the development and maintenance of working relationship at departmental interfaces.
Our ideal candidate will be autonomous, goal directed and capable of planning, organizing and managing multiple priorities with limited direction. You will be proficient in both written and verbal communication and possessing excellent negotiation and persuasion skills. Being able to build strong business relationships within the ASC organization as well as within the broader Enterprise is essential to your success. You will be able to demonstrate strong Leadership and Management skills, are Customer Service orientated and are internally motivated and highly resilient.
Desirable competencies and experiences
- Tertiary qualifications in a technical or project management discipline or equivalent experience in a systems engineering, naval construction or complex asset management / development environment.
- Demonstrable practical knowledge of Scheduling, Earned Value Management, financial, stakeholder and personnel management as applicable to a complex project environment.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a complex project environment at a Project Engineer level (or equivalent).
- Diploma or higher qualifications in Project Management is desirable but not essential.
- Membership of the AIPM or equivalent is desirable but not essential.
- Hold a Australian Defence Security Clearance (NV 1)
- Comply with the International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) Regulations
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity and secure yourself a promising future with an industry leader offering long term career prospects and exciting career opportunities, please submit your application by applying online.
Eligibility and Requirements
The successful candidate must provide ASC with a current National Police Clearance prior as well as be eligible for an Australian Defence Security Clearance, part of this eligibility requirement includes Australian Citizenship. Access protected US Defence Technology will be taken into account in assessing an applicant's suitability for this role.
ASC also requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people. If you are applying for a role at ASC please consider this new requirement when submitting your application. ASC will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
About our offer
We offer more than just a challenging and rewarding career. We have put together a range of programs, initiatives and benefits that help empower our employees to reach their personal and professional goals to ensure their career with us is both challenging and rewarding.
- Staff training and leadership development programs
- Additional 2 weeks of leave
- Paid parental leave
- Salary sacrificing options
- Paid defence reservist leave
- Flexible working arrangements
- Onsite cafeteria & parking
- Access to our onsite gym and wellbeing programs
Annual Flu vaccinations and onsite health centre
ASC has proudly served as Australia’s sovereign submarine builder and sustainer for over 35 years and our 1,800 strong workforce are based in the Osborne Naval Shipyard in SA and in the Henderson Maritime Precinct and Garden Island in WA. We are an enduring and integral part of Australia’s maritime strategy and national security, and a trusted and efficient partner with sovereign design, build and sustainment capabilities, driving best value for our customers. At ASC, our values of protect, respect, integrity, discipline and excellence drive our standards, behaviours and the decisions we make each day to create a culture which is safe, engaged and customer focused.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
At ASC, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing a work environment where everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We encourage diversity of age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, thinking styles, experience, family background and gender identity or expression. We know there are many aspects of our employee’s lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits including flexible working options, a generous parental leave policy and other leave entitlements. ASC’s Reconciliation Action Plan sets out our commitment to engage with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, organisations and communities – the Traditional Owners of the lands and waters on or near our operations in WA and SA, the Whadjuk Noongar people of Perth’s Swan Coastal Plain and the Kaurna people of the Adelaide Plains. We pay our respects to past, present and emerging elders and extend this respect to all First Nations peoples. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, and people of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.