Our people are central to our success.
With a global business, we offer diverse and rewarding careers. We are committed to Thiess being a company and a culture where great people can excel and where they are developed and supported to reach their highest potential.
Join our team of industry leaders – because with us, your skills, knowledge and experience will make a difference to the benefit of our clients, communities and project partners.
With a history since 1934, Thiess is the world’s largest mining services provider. We offer the widest range of in-house surface and underground mining capabilities in leading commodities across Australia, Botswana, Canada, Chile, Indonesia and Mongolia. Every day, we optimise the mining lifecycle to create lasting value.
Since 2003, Thiess in Indonesia has operated open pits at the Sangatta Mine Project, one of the world’s largest thermal coal reserves under a life of mine contract.
About the role
The Manager Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) provides strategic direction and leadership for Health & Safety functional support to Sites towards achieving the safety objective of “Everyone Safe Everyday”, compliance with the company policy and procedures, and to meet legislative requirements. Reporting to Project Manager, you will work collaboratively towards delivering high-quality solutions and results.
Some of your duties will include:
- Provide leadership, motivation, direction and assistance to staff and employees to improve Thiess safety management system education and compliance;
- Implement improvements to Thiess Safety Management Systems to ensure the conservation of people, property, environment and profits;
- Ensure the compliance of Safety Management Systems through regular monitoring programs so as to provide assurance that we meet our safety obligations for our people, business, legal, statutory, clients, community and shareholders;
- Represent the company in government or industry safety groups and programs;
- Responsible to facilitate the health and safety of employees through education, training and demonstration of the right behaviours;
- Conduct regular reviews on safety performance and implementation of TSE standards, site risk management controls and safety improvement initiatives.
- Conduct reviews of Project Risk Management controls.
- Promote operational (Supervisor/Superintendent) ownership of incident investigations, and review investigation reports to ensure integrity of findings.
- Ensure close out of incident investigation reports and related actions within time frame.
- Periodically compile and review incident data analysis and identify and implement improvement programs. This is to include injury prevention programs towards achieving TRIFR targets.
- Participate in investigations of significant incidents and identify deficiencies in risk control programs.
- Conduct site Safety Audits as per schedule. Follow through on audit outcomes and provide assistance as required.
- Assist site team with preparation for external audits and continued compliance with OHSAS18001/ISO45001, and SMKP.
- To monitor and follow-up on project corrective action status to ensure that they do not become overdue.
- To be involved and informed in the implementation of health improvement initiatives and awareness programs.
- To promote and support safety reward and recognition programs across the Projects.
What skills and experience do you need?
- Tertiary Graduate with relevant qualifications in a safety, engineering or similar discipline, with minimum of 15 years’ experiences in mining discipline and minimum 5 years professional experience in a similar role (Client relations, Subcontract management, Project management);
- Extensive knowledge, skills and experience in Occupational Health & Safety management systems
- A commitment to safety and a desire to maintain our Indonesian coal operations to world class international safety standards. You should also be able to clearly demonstrate previous results together with a pro-active commitment towards safety whilst having attained the teamwork and respect of local communities and adherence to relevant environmental standards;
- Cross Cultural Management sensitivity and an understanding of community issues relevant to large mining projects within developing countries;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; attention to details; good in coaching/mentoring and negotiation/mediation; Efficient; attention to details; good analytical; conflict resolution; sound decision making skills; excellent communication skills in English both verbal and written and computer literate
Our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce
We recognize the value of an inclusive and diverse workplace through our vision: everyone matters always.
Through this vision, we will build a community where respect, value and thoughtfulness toward each person will underpin their ability to bring their full self to work because here they will be empowered, safe and included.
How to apply
This role is an opportunity to make the next step in your career. With our culture of recognition, development, and a stimulating and satisfying work environment there is no better time to join Thiess.
To apply for this role please follow the below link. Applications close on December 29th, 2019.
Please be aware of certain frauds or misinformation regarding recruitment advertising on behalf of Thiess. We never ask for any payments whatsoever from applicants or candidates during the recruitment process. We never ask applicants or candidates to use specific travel agent services to make arrangements for transportation and accommodation during the recruitment process.