Department: Workforce & Economic Development
Sub department: Maritime & Continuing Education
Type of Appointment: Unclassified - Faculty 12 months
Salary: $41,908.13 - $56,052.85
Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching and Direct Instructional Activities--
Preparation of Course Materials
• Provides academic instruction
• Makes use of appropriate textbook/instructional materials. Following departmental/divisional structure.
• Responsible for developing a course syllabus aligned to the master syllabus for the course and in accordance with all required policies, procedures and assessments,
• Responsible for publishing the course syllabus by the end of the first week of classes on LMS.
• Responsible for developing a course schedule/outline that covers the required content of the course and makes use of required instructional time.
• Faculty member develops materials utilizing current pedagogical practices and current materials to support the learning of the course content.
• Creates a learning environment in which all students are treated equitably and with respect.
• Responsible for accurately maintaining the required class management system in a timely fashion (approximately every two weeks) (ex. Canvas).
• Responsible for providing the necessary resources for students to perform on assignments.
• Responsible for starting and ending class on time and making use of appropriate class time.
• Satisfactory score on Classroom Observation
Student Performance Evaluation
• Satisfactory ratings for Student Rating for Instruction.
• Provides fair and timely grading of student coursework.
• Faculty member administers required assessments in all courses.
• Faculty member returns/acknowledges course emails from students within 48-72 hours.
• Faculty member provides alternative assignment(s) when course time is missed or lost.
• Faculty member displays a professional demeanor and uses a professional tone and language when speaking with students whether in person or electronically.
• Faculty member encourages student participation through a variety of instructional methods.
• Faculty member provides adequate and constructive feedback on assessments.
• Faculty member computes grades accurately and fairly following syllabus assessment plan. In the rare instances where an adjustment is needed, the faculty member notifies students of changes with ample notice and reasoning.
• Faculty member properly utilizes and applies assessment methods in accordance with master syllabus, department/program outcomes, and course syllabus.
Leadership to Students, Department, Division or College (25% of Activity, 10 hrs. wk.)
• Faculty member, within reason, provides accommodations to meet with students outside of office hours, if needed.
• Faculty member follows policies and procedures of the college/unit/division/department.
• Faculty member follows the college dress code.
• Faculty member attends required trainings, college -wide events.
• Faculty member provides notice, in a timely manner, to appropriate college member when committees, courses, trainings, meeting will be missed.
• Faculty member attends and participates in advisory/program/accreditation meetings, if applicable
• Faculty member works collaboratively with others.
o Community Service
• Represent the college in manner, appearance, and behavior that promotes a positive image in college-related outreach activities
o Student Services
• Faculty member assists students with advising via in-person or online appointments and is easily accessible for the student.
• Faculty member maintains required number of advising chat hours per week, if applicable.
• Faculty member posts advising messages within 48 hours of receipt of message.
• Faculty member attends required advising trainings.
• Faculty member responds to advising requests within 72 hours of contact by student.
Research and Professional Development Activities (5% of Activity, 2 hrs. wk.)
o Developing/Maintaining Professional Relationships
• Faculty member attends one hour or more seminar, webinar, lecture series, workshop beyond mandatory college seminars/workshops/trainings.
• Faculty member belongs to one professional organization.
• Faculty member makes and records monthly industry visits, if applicable.
• Faculty member attends and participates semi-annual program advisory meetings, if applicable.
• Pursue or acquire advanced degrees, certifications, etc.
• Maintain continuing education associated with licensing and/or regulatory grant proposals
• Participate in a Leadership Academy
o Other duties as assigned
Required Education: Associate's Degree. or an equivalent to this requirement determined by the College and demonstrated competencies in the teaching discipline.
Required Experience: • At least three (3) years of directly related occupational experience and skill in the field to be taught,
• An Associate’s Degree and four (4) years of occupational experience and skill in the field to be taught,
• A relevant Certificate and five (5) years of occupational experience and skill in the field to be taught*
Seven (7) years’ work experience in the teaching field to be taught*
Required Licenses or Certifications: Active, unencumbered driver's license
Preferred Education: Bachelor Degree from an accredited College or University in related field
Preferred Experience: • 7 years of experience
• Medical Assistant, LPN or RN Credentials
• Understanding of SalesForce CRM System
Passing pre-employment criminal background screen is required as a condition of employment.