WorkReady U Transitional Advisor
Job no: 492375
Work type: Staff Part-Time
Location: SLCC – Morgan City
Categories: Adult Education, WorkReady U
Department: Academic & Student Affairs
Sub department: Academic Initiatives
Type of Appointment: Part time - Temporary
Salary: $17.28 per hour
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Establishes positive and trusting relationships with students
• Coordinates and provides supportive services to support academic persistence and success.
• Connects students to college admissions processes, including financial aid, academic advising; and academic and student support services including 5 for SIX.
• Works with outside agencies and organizations to provide additional services to students.
• Maintains a database of community contacts.
• Provides information on the student’s targeted career and educational pathway.
• Assists students with career research and planning.
• Assists students with employment searches and job placements.
• Monitors student progress, attendance, behavior, and meets with students regarding academic performance.
• Facilitates student success by creating peer networks.
• Fosters student accountability, self-advocacy, self-awareness, and effective use of resources.
• Communicates regularly with key staff at community partner organizations and works collaboratively to develop and strengthen student support networks, referrals, and recruitment pipelines.
• Develops opportunities for students to gain real world information and exposure to targeted career pathways.
• Facilitates transition of students to credit courses, connecting them with student services and academic and support programs.
• Solicits student feedback on and experience with WorkReady U and 5 for SIX programs.
• Assists with data entry and maintaining student records.
• Uses comprehensive assessments for the development of individual career and training plans.
• Markets and recruits for 5 for SIX Scholarship program to ensure continual flow of students concurrently entering the HiSET and Career Pathways programs.
• Provides navigational services throughout students’ time at SLCC—even after HiSET completion—in order to ensure higher persistence, retention and completion rates that benefit students and college as a whole.
• Conducts weekly student status check-ins and updates with both ABE Manager and content instructors to assist with creating environments that are conducive to student success in and out of the classroom.
• Collaborates with Manager of ABE to create, refine and adjust course formats that better align with successful student outcomes in the HiSET and Career Pathways programs.
• Arranges for additional tutoring as needed for at-risk students in order to better support supplemental teaching and learning practices in and out of the classroom.
• Creates individual student success plans that focus on the holistic needs of students in order to ensure higher levels of retention and persistence that lead to greater levels of completion and success.
• Maintains accurate student information and records in order to establish reporting systems that provide timely data pertinent to the college’s institutional research and reporting requirements.
• Conducts regular and timely check-ins and follow-ups with those students who are in danger of dropping out or not completing programs to inspire continued effort on the part of student.
• Assist Manager of ABE in creating courses and pathways that count toward both 5 for Six fulfillment and the acquisition of Industry Based Credentials (IBCs).
• Responsible for keeping all ABE faculty and staff informed of student and program successes, failures, issues, and concerns in order to maintain a culture of transparency that permits constructive feedback for the sake of continual program improvement and growth.
• Required to visit multiple campus locations and community-based locations throughout the work week in an effort to maintain effective communications on a consistent basis.
• Responsible for obtaining and securing classroom supplies and textbooks for pathways students.
• Performs all other duties as assigned by Manager of Adult Basic Education
• Predictable and reliable attendance is required in order to provide consistency and continuity of educational services.
Required Education: Bachelor's degree
• Experience in Adult Education or Higher Education advising, counseling, or career services preferred.
• Two years of progressive work experience in career education and coaching.
• Professional demeanor and ability to interact successfully with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students.
• Excellent motivational and coaching skills.
• Must be able to work on sensitive issues with discretion and a commitment to confidentiality.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Demonstrate the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and demanding environment with minimal supervision and a high degree of flexibility.
• Strong problem solving and organization skills with the ability to prioritize multiple on-going projects and responsibilities.
• Experience managing and interpreting complex data systems.
• Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office© Professional applications.
Required Licenses or Certifications: Unencumbered active driver's license
Passing pre-employment criminal background screen is required as a condition of employment.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend